North Star is a coffee company that was founded in 2013 with the sole aim of putting the humanity back into the commoditised coffee supply chain to build an industry that works for everyone. We do so by sourcing the best coffee possible in the most positively impactful manner we can, to highlight the amazing families producing it and connect them with the consumer. We are a founder-led, impact-driven business with strong family values, fostering a small team of passionate and motivated individuals to deliver the best experience possible to our customers. Our growth is key to delivering our purpose but we must remain laser-focused on maintaining our core principles of quality, ethics and outstanding customer service as we grow and, for this reason, the time has come to find the next superstar to join our team.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
We are searching for a someone with real drive and personal integrity who takes pride in a job well done. You will be passionate and people-centred and will gain maximum satisfaction when getting across community and advocacy for our brand in every interaction.
You will be a big part of a small team, responsible for relationship management with select wholesale customers (including training for the team/strategy development with the business owner/day-to-day communication) along with driving brand awareness and sales. You will oversee new openings to ensure everything runs as smoothly as possible and will be responsible for embedding that new customer into our ways of working.
You will have at least 2 years experience in account management and ideally within the coffee industry with sound knowledge of the specialty landscape. Experience as a barista and trainer is also essential.
• Work alongside the business development manager to agree annual and quarterly strategy, objectives and targets and to diarise and deliver agreed visits throughout the year.
• Help to drive growth within existing customer base through sales of new products/cross-selling.
• Effectively communicate the ‘why’ behind North Star in all interactions, hosting events and cupping sessions for your customers to further our brand and purpose.
• Report and maintain all leads/enquiries/updates on our system.
• Develop customer-specific training plans and ideas to further position that business and help it to grow.
• Work with the production and dispatch team to ensure a smooth on-boarding process for new customers.
• Be an advocate for North Star both in and out of the business.
• Develop respectful and strong relationships with key suppliers to facilitate the supply and support of equipment.
• Follow up on leads and inbound enquiries
• Represent North Star at industry events throughout the year.
Our business is open to applications from all regardless of race, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation or age. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where equal opportunities are accessible to all.
WHAT IT TAKES:
• 2+ years experience in relationship management in coffee with a proven record of success in terms of customer retention and growth.
• A full UK driving license.
• A love for specialty coffee, passionate about sustainability and to do good in the world.
• Experience as a barista ideally with some knowledge of training.
• Exceptional oral and written English communication skills, proficiency with technology.
• Strong organisational skills with the ability to prioritise and meet deadlines.
• Ability to carry out occasional evening or weekend work for which time will be given back in lieu.
• Responsive and accessible for face-to-face, phone or email communication.
• Ability to manage own workload/schedule, trustworthy and honest.
• Self awareness placing importance on personal integrity - have a natural inclination to be accountable for doing the right thing with honesty and good judgement.
• Be genuinely kind and thoughtful with a can-do attitude.
• Energetic, personable, and outgoing.
• Have an inherent desire to look after people – be someone who goes above and beyond to find a ‘yes’ and to treat others as you would want to be treated.
• Obsessive attention to detail, an eye for creativity and the skill to jump between projects quickly and efficiently.
WHAT CAN WE OFFER:
• Annual salary ranging from £27-30k dependent on experience with an incentive scheme.
• SCA courses.
• Professional and personal development – ‘Stay Curious’ fund of £150/year to be put towards developing an interest or hobby.
• The option for remote working.
• Flexible hours.
• A lot of coffee…
• Friendly and inclusive workplace.
• Healthcare insurance.
• The potential for an Employee share scheme after 5 years of service.
• An environment in which you are encouraged to feedback and help us do better.
• The chance to genuinely have positive impact on the lives of others.
Diversity at North Star:
At North Star, we value diversity.
The first stage for applications will be anonymous and applicants must submit a blind CV and task. For this reason, please DO NOT include any information on your task submission which relates to the below policy including your name or educational achievement. We will then assess these tasks ‘blind’ and once successful tasks are identified, we will inform candidates and invite them to an interview.
It is our policy to not discriminate against our employees on the basis of their gender, sexual orientation, marital or civil partner status, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, disability or age, pregnancy or maternity (together with ‘Protected Characteristics) or trade union membership or the fact they are a part-time worker or a fixed-term employee.
What is a blind CV?
Blind CVs strip away identifiable information with the aim of reducing unconscious bias. This means no name, age, pictures, nationality, linked in handle etc.
Please don’t worry about reformatting your CV too much, just delete those parts from your CV and leave them blank.
The focus of our wholesale account management is to get our amazing, ethically sourced specialty grade coffee out to businesses in the hospitality and out of home sector who are just as focused on quality and long-term impact as we are.
To achieve our objectives for this financial year, we are focused on growing this customer base.
We would like you to give a brief overview of how you would go about this covering:
The potential customer/group you would target Why you would target them Who you would target within their organisation How would you first make contact Why would they be a good fit to work with North Star The development of the relationship as you see it
Please send your CV and task to firstname.lastname@example.org who will create a unique candidate number for you and will save your CV and task on our system.
Our Business Development Manager Ollie will then review all CVs and tasks and will contact successful applicants for an initial interview.
Stage 1: Submit Blind CV and task
Stage 2: Initial interview with Ollie to review previous experience and your CV
Stage 3: Final interview with Ollie, Krag (COO) and Hols (CEO)