Level 39 is a co-working space located in the heights of Canary Wharf, in which Curators Coffee run a café space, kitchen and catering business. As a Sous Chef at Curators Coffee Level 39, you’re the right-hand man or woman to our Head Chef, working together to prepare a delicious daily offering of breakfast, lunch and cakes for our customers and on catering events for our clients.
You’re passionate about food and self-motivated, with ambitions to learn and develop within your role. You’re proactive and complete tasks in a timely, efficient manner, always up to the high standard expected from Curators. You develop creative suggestions for seasonal menu items and ways to improve the efficiency of kitchen operations.
Reports to: Head Chef – Curators Coffee Level 39
Pay: £11 per hour
Hours: 40-45 hours, usually between Monday – Friday, with flexible shift times.
Role and Responsibilities
- Work alongside the Head Chef to deliver a daily offering of breakfast, lunch, cookies and cakes for our customers, ensuring production meets requirements, and we minimise wastage.
- Work alongside the Head Chef to cater events for up to 200 people.
- Play a key role in ordering and costing menu items in order to create innovative and cost-effective menus.
- Keep track of stock levels to avoid shortages or surplus and keep our ordering system updated with wastage, recipes, costings and invoice details.
- Complete the monthly stock take, ensuring accuracy.
- Ensure basic cleaning jobs are carried out as quickly as possible, thoroughly and continually cleaning food preparation areas and equipment, in addition to crockery and cutlery, walls and floors.
- Unload food and equipment deliveries and keep the storeroom organised.
- Take an active role in weekly kitchen meetings.
- Maintain an excellent communication channel with the front of house team, clearly advising on changes to menu items and ingredients and seeking customer feedback.
- Assist with the training of all new and temporary kitchen staff, delegate tasks and responsibilities in the absence of the Head Chef.
- Set a good example for any new team members, maintaining a high standard at all times.
- Share ideas with the Head Chef to help improve the food offering and develop seasonal and exciting menu ideas.
- Stay up to date on food trends and industry developments.
- Follow all health and food safety/HACCP procedures to the highest standard and maintain records as necessary (including keeping temperature check records complete). Set a good example for other team members and share knowledge and best practice with new and temporary team members.
- Complete all cleaning tasks and checklists on a daily/weekly/monthly basis and ensure that all areas of the kitchen are kept meticulously clean.
- Complete any relevant food safety training and renew as necessary.
Food quality – maintaining the highest standards.
- Ensure food is produced to the highest standards, the best quality ingredients are used and preparation and serving instructions are meticulously followed.
- Commit to continually learning and developing your cooking skills and understanding of ingredients, suppliers and kitchen operations.
- Take opportunities to lend a hand and learn with other kitchen duties to support the Head Chef and develop within your role.
- Stay up to date with internal communications.
- Complete any other tasks or projects as reasonably requested.
Skills and Experience
- Solid kitchen and catering experience with ambitions to learn, adapt and develop within the role.
- Experience with baking essential.
- Creative and inventive with flavours and menu ideas.
- Excellent understanding of health and food safety protocols.
- Drive and determination to improve standards, taking pride in every day’s work.
- Meticulous and thorough.
- Ambitions to learn, adapt and develop within the role.
- Organised, efficient and a great multitasker.
- Proactive - able to think on your feet and take initiative.
- Great team-working skills, and the ability to delegate effectively where needed.
- Stamina and the ability to stay calm and solve problems under pressure.
- Understanding of customer expectations of food, seasonality and industry trends.
- Willingness to flex working hours around key events.