Please read the whole description and apply with answers to the questions at the bottom
Bon Coffee was opened by Browns of Brockley in 2020. We are looking for baristas local to Lordship Lane to work full-time or part-time. Good barista experience in a similar speciality setup is essential; unfortunately we cannot take you on if you can’t make good coffee quickly and pour decent latte art (at least a tulip or rosetta, see attached photos).
We use a Victoria Arduino Black Eagle volumetric machine, alongside Mythos One grinders and a PuqPress. We have always used Square Mile Coffee across all shops and van/events, who also service our equipment and provide some training.
You will be responsible for providing great, genuine customer service whilst being able to produce drinks to a consistently high standard. Whilst this is a barista role, we employ all-rounders who are also happy to assist in the daily operations of the café, ensuring compliance with company standards across all areas. As well as beverage preparation, this includes customer relations, assistance with deliveries, following H&S procedures and being able to work as a team, efficiently and reliably.
Ideally you will live nearby and be able to arrive promptly for early shifts (and enjoy early finishes!) without relying on public transport. Each shop being in a local neighbourhood, we know most of our customers by name, have seen their kids grow up, know to ask how their new job is or how their holiday was. But also if somebody is visiting the area we know how to help, what to recommend etc.
With weekends being our busiest time, full availability every day is essential. A part-time position will almost certainly include working both weekend days, other than booked holidays. We are open all week; Mon-Fri 8am–2pm, weekends 9am–3pm. So a 5 day role would total 35 hours.
Pay currently starts at £11.95 per hour for a 6-8 week probation, going up to £12.45ph on successful completion of the probation.
If you have the right experience and genuinely like customer service, please get in touch. Make sure your CV has relevant experience, but also provide a cover letter introducing yourself, outlining why you want to work with us, and including answers to the following questions:
• Do you have the Right to Work in the UK? (If no, unfortunately we cannot take you on).
• Do you drink coffee, and can you tell us a bit more about your interest and experience in modern coffee, including espresso dialling-in and latte art?
• How many hours a week are you looking to work?
• Weekends are our busiest time which is why we ask that applicants are fully available over weekends. Do you have any other commitments that would mean you’re unable to work on certain weekdays and if so, which days? (If you have a regular commitment on a weekend day, unfortunately we cannot take you on).
• Do you have any plans, projects or holidays in the next year longer than a week, or any upcoming changes to your availability?
• Where do you live? We sometimes need to move baristas around the three shops, the others being in Brockley and Forest Hill; would this be possible for you?
• If you were to be successful when would you ideally start working with us?
• When would you be able to come for an interview between the hours of 10am–2pm Mon-Fri? Depending on scheduling this may be at one of the other shops.