Kiss the Hippo is an ambitious speciality coffee company. We opened our flagship café, roastery, and training centre last year in the heart of Richmond. Within our first year, we have made our mark on the barista world by being home to the 2018-2019-2020 Barista Champions. We really believe the core of KtH is our coffee team and our baristas make up the most important part of that team. We’re currently looking to recruit more ambitious coffee professionals to join our barista team at our Richmond and Fitzrovia cafes.
As a Kiss the Hippo barista, you would be working alongside and learning from some of the most awarded coffee professionals in the country. Behind the bar you will be brewing a diverse collection of single origins, unique experimental coffee lots all on machines like our Kees Van Der Westen 3 Group Spirit, Mythos 1s, EK-43s and Kalita pour-overs. We look to create an inclusive environment where people can learn and grow their career in coffee. Since education is critical for growth we have a robust training system as well as new and interesting workshops where we deep dive into different parts of the coffee world.
What we’re looking for in a barista
• A person experienced for at least a year in speciality coffee
• Ability to dial in espresso and filter coffee
• Ability to pour consistent latte art
• High quality standards in everything they make
• Have an outgoing personality and genuinely enjoy talking to customers
• Believe in being considerate and kind to fellow staff as well as the value of communication
• Able to work quickly, calmly, and efficient during busy periods
• Naturally seeks out tasks during quieter periods
• Understands the value of paying attention to details
• Seeks out to create a constantly clean cafe environment whenever possible
What we offer
• Coffee training by our award-winning team
• Constant coffee skill development through our internal workshops
• A work environment where you will have access to the best equipment
• Ability to taste, brew, and share coffee from some of the worlds most celebrated farms
• Platform and support to compete in coffee competitions
• Free staff coffee for home
• Discounts on coffee brewing equipment
Please send your CV as well as a short letter telling us about yourself and why you work in coffee.